We scan all film formats from 8mm thru to 65mm for online use or for full post- production to uncompressed files. The list of deliverable file formats is long and we scan resolutions up to 4k at this point.
Our film scanning systems are the latest technology that combines high quality image performance with excellent film handling and a software suite capable of ingest, edit, colour grading, vfx and restoration as well as delivery to your required file format.
Our scanning technology scans the entire film frame ensuring that nothing is lost and giving all of the image to allow for pan, scan or reposition of the framing downstream.
For 35mm and 16mm film scans we use the Black Magic Design Cintel Scanners that offer 4k scanning at up to 30fps with pin registered software based stability and Resolve software for capture and with over 150TB of high speed storage we can cope with running multiple scanners and offload workstations.
Scansmiths offers unique combinations of highly skilled film operators, an advanced content management system and the latest in scanning technology for digitising film to the following formats;
- SD – Standard Definition – 480i and 576i
- HD – High Definition 1920 x 1080
- 2K – DCI 2048 x 1080
- UHD Ultra High Definition 3,840 x 2,160 and 4K – 4,096 x 2160
- HDR – High Dynamic Range
The set of hardware includes the following scanning capability;
- Nitrate film – advanced deterioration must be established. Nitrate will be scanned on devices with cool LED light source only
- All Safety bases – including Acetate and Polyester, colour negative, colour positive, B&W negative and Positive. Colour Reversal, CRI (Colour reversal Intermediate), Printing Intermediates; Inter-Positives, Duplicate Negatives. B&W Reversal, Ektachrome and Kodachrome
- Deteriorating film – upon inspection. Film can be transported on scanners at exceptionally low frame rates.
- Film Gauges – 8mm/ Super 8 /16mm/ Super16mm /35mm /65mm /70mm – as well as a range of other formats including 9.5mm /17.5mm /22mm and 28mm, if required.
- Non Standard Frame Line positions – requires reframing by adjustment to region of interest and possibly downstream software.
- Obsolete Colour Systems – Tinting, Toning, Stenciling, 2 & 3 strip colour film – faded film requiring digital restoration.
- Scratch and dirt concealment may be treated in a photochemical process, base side polishing, wet gate scanning or digital scratch concealment applications both real-time at the scanner or post applications.
All these different types of film can be natively captured to;
- DPX (both 2K and 4K)
- DCI – DCP both 2K and 4K
- HD file formats
- All common editorial and mezzanine file formats, ProRes, H.264, QT
As well as transcoded to other formats as required downstream as part of our solution. As with our tape processing – physical scans are also taken of the film cans and stored as part of the process.